Zurvival Saturday (49) Review: The Day Zombies Ruined My Perfectly Boring Life by Jen Naumann


For this weeks Zurvival Saturday I'll be reviewing The Day Zombies Ruined My Perfectly Boring Life by Jen Naumann. I admit I actually read this last month but was sidetracked and never ended up getting around to write up my review, my bad I know. So here it is in all its shiny glory!!

Add To Goodreads
 Rating: ★★★★
Author: Jen Naumann
Title: The Day Zombies Ruined My Perfectly Boring Life
Genre: Horror, Zombies, Young Adult
Format: E-Book
Copy Provided By: Author
Publisher: At Or With Me Publishing
Publication Date: June 2012

 Seventeen-year-old Emma Ferdig has spent her entire life stuck in an itty-bitty town that is basically smack-dab in the middle of nowhere. She’s not bored because there are always the same mundane things to do with her best friend Finn every single weekend, but bored as in there is literally nothing for a teenage girl to do that doesn't involve farm animals and the threat of law enforcement.

But now she would do pretty much anything to go back to that boring life.

Emma's life is turned upside down after a night of senior pranks by the discovery of a real, live (better make that dead) zombie in her own backyard. In a breakneck journey across the rural Midwest, Emma will recruit a minivan full of teenage misfits while trying to survive, and uncover the secrets behind this zombie invasion. She’ll discover the true identity of Finn’s mother, the dark conspiracy that has infiltrated the U.S. Army, and maybe even realize the person she has been waiting to save her was right by her side the whole time.

As it turns out, life in a boring little town hadn’t been such a bad thing, after all.



Review:

I'm a Zombie purist, I like my books filled with blood, guts, suspense and scares. However, if done right I don't mind stories that really challenge the genre. The Day Zombies Ruined My Perfectly Boring Life definitely definitely does that and then some!! I wouldn't call this book a laugh riot Zombedy but it was fun with a capital F! I'd even call this book a welcome break  from my standard fare.

Emma the main character was sassy, snarky and oh so adorable. She was an every girl and one I could honestly see myself NOT wanting to kill if they were unfortunately bitten. I don't say that often about female characters in Zombie books but I really did enjoy this character.

On the other hand Emma did have one small fault and that was her inability to cope with the situation. While I liked her character a bunch. I feel like if she was in my group I'd have to snap her out of her funk quite often and by snap I mean probably give her a nice little smack on the backside of the head to refocus her.

One thing I really loved about this book was how the virus worked. I'm sort of a sucker for books where only certain age groups are affected and this one did not disappoint on that front at all. The "twist" while not exactly unique was very well done and I appreciate the Authors efforts to put her own slant on things.

The only real downside I found with this book was the pacing. For whatever reason it went a little wonky in the middle. I haven't decided if this is because the book had to much dialogue or not enough during those scenes but thankfully the pacing managed to get itself back on track by the end.

Overall The Day Zombies Ruined My Perfectly Boring Life was a great book and one I seriously hope has a sequel. I say this especially because it does have quite a cliffhanger of an ending. I mean it works don't get me wrong but I wanted to see more darnit. That being said, I highly recommend picking this book up if you're a fan of the genre. Especially if you've been looking for a new book to add to your Zombie collection that has a real unique perspective on how the Zombie Apocalypse will start. Therefore, in the end, I will be rating The Day Zombies Ruined My Perfectly Boring Life by Jen Naumann ★★★★.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Party Games by R.L. Stine

Books To Movies Giveaway hop!!

Giveaway: Vamps vs. Zombies Blog Hop!!