Booking Through Thursday (19)




BTT Asks: Are there any good books that you read IN SPITE OF the cover and ended up wondering what on earth the artist and publisher were thinking to pair up a cover that so badly represented a perfectly good book?

And … if you didn’t like the cover, what made you pick up the book? The author? Assigned reading from school? A recommendation from a friend?

I read a bunch of Zombie Fiction and sometimes the covers are so awful or way to generic that you have to wonder why they even bothered in the first place. I can count at least 6 on Kindle with the same zombie girl on the cover and the only thing that changes is the font and Author. Listen, I know not everyone can afford to hire a cover artist like those employed by the big publishing houses but that's not an excuse not to at least try and have a professional looking cover.

Now I can push past bad covers and I have read some really enjoyable books with them but I Know on the flipside that those bad covers might deter others from reading it no matter how awesome it sounds or how much praise I give it. Take a look at DeviantArt there are plenty who would love the chance to design a cover and most would do it cheaply or maybe even Free just to get their name out.

When in doubt keep it simple, I'd rather read a dozen stories with a plain cover and creative font colors then have to stare at a shelf with a dozen poorly designed ones. As you can tell bad covers are a pet peeve of mine lol and I know I'm far from alone with that opinion.

As for the second part of the question, usually I find the books just Googling or sorting through Amazon, sometimes the book will come from a recommendation and sometimes even from the Author themselves. I'll give any book a chance as long as it piques my interest bad cover or not and I find that the covers eventually get a facelift down the road anyway. So I guess the moral of this story is Never Judge A Book By Its Cover because you might be missing out on some really awesome reads.


Now for my questions, What book sticks in your mind as having an awful cover but you ended up enjoying it anyway? Do you believe bad book covers result in low sales? Leave me an answer in the comments below, I love reading your responses!

To join this or future Booking Through Thursdays Click Here

Comments

  1. Great answer, I completely agree. I don't judge books by their covers, but sometimes I wish there weren't so many flat out BAD ones. lol. You're right, there are plenty of artists that would jump at the chance to design a cover just to get their name out there. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it definitely changes my mind which platform I buy it in when the cover is bad.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by Blood Sweat and Books and taking the time to leave a comment! If you find my posts enjoyable please share, it means so much when you do.

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Party Games by R.L. Stine

Books To Movies Giveaway hop!!

Giveaway: Vamps vs. Zombies Blog Hop!!