And All the Stars by Andrea K. Höst- Review

Andrea K. Höst
Publisher:
Self Published
Publication Date: October 1st,2012
Page Length: 193
And All the Stars

Come for the apocalypse.
Stay for cupcakes.
Die for love.

Madeleine Cost is working to become the youngest person ever to win the Archibald Prize for portraiture. Her elusive cousin Tyler is the perfect subject: androgynous, beautiful, and famous. All she needs to do is pin him down for the sittings.

None of her plans factored in the Spires: featureless, impossible, spearing into the hearts of cities across the world – and spraying clouds of sparkling dust into the wind.

Is it an alien invasion? Germ warfare? They are questions everyone on Earth would like answered, but Madeleine has a more immediate problem. At Ground Zero of the Sydney Spire, beneath the collapsed ruin of St James Station, she must make it to the surface before she can hope to find out if the world is ending.



*I downloaded this book off Netgalley to review. All opinions are my own and I was not compensated in any way for providing them.

Review:

And All the Stars is unlike many Survival books on the market since it actually takes place during, yes DURING not after the Apocalyspe happens. Also something else notable was this isn't a Dystopian, the characters were just ordinary citizens living life until the takeover happens.

The pacing of this book really takes off when the spires appear. I don't want to get into to many specific details about the threat because I really feel this is a book that should be read not spoiled. They are however reminiscent of the Pods from War of The Worlds in the fact they spring forth from the ground indicating to me at least that they've been probably planning this for some time. How they differ however is when the takeover starts to happen anyone caught outside was doused with this fine powdery substance. For some people the powder just turned their skin colors but for others it was a race for survival as the powder made them dependent on those who weren't as severely affected. You'll get what I mean when you read it but it was a nice twist so to speak.

As for the characters,the mix of ethnicity combined with diverse social backgrounds was as refreshing as the storyline itself. While Madeleine is the main character I found myself liking the others in her group just as much or maybe even dare I say it more.

Overall And All the Stars was definitely an unputdownable read for me. I really cannot properly express how much I loved this book without breaking into maniacal fits of giggles, so let me just simply say this book surprised the heck out of me and rocked! And All the Stars was everything and more than I could ask for in a Survival/Apocalyptic book. It blended the believable with the extraordinary and left me wanting more. I highly recommend picking this up and giving it a shot. I truly don't think you will regret it. I will be rating And All the Stars ★★★★★.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Party Games by R.L. Stine

Books To Movies Giveaway hop!!

Giveaway: Vamps vs. Zombies Blog Hop!!