Review-The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda

Gene is different from everyone else around him. He can’t run with lightning speed, sunlight doesn’t hurt him and he doesn’t have an unquenchable lust for blood. Gene is a human, and he knows the rules. Keep the truth a secret. It’s the only way to stay alive in a world of night—a world where humans are considered a delicacy and hunted for their blood.

When he’s chosen for a once in a lifetime opportunity to hunt the last remaining humans, Gene’s carefully constructed life begins to crumble around him. He’s thrust into the path of a girl who makes him feel things he never thought possible—and into a ruthless pack of hunters whose suspicions about his true nature are growing. Now that Gene has finally found something worth fighting for, his need to survive is stronger than ever—but is it worth the cost of his humanity?

ISBN: 1250005140 (ISBN13: 9781250005144)
Author: Andrew Fukuda
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Expected Release: May 8,2012
Pre-Order:
Barnes&Noble
Amazon



I was provided a copy of this E-book by Netgalley in exchange for a review. All opinions are my own and I was not compensated in any way for them.

Review:

Don’t Sweat. Don’t Laugh. Don’t draw attention to yourself. And most of all, whatever you do, do not fall in love with one of them. These are the rules Gene has followed his whole life. At night he pretends to be one of them, the creatures who have hunted his kind to near extinction. Gene knows he's lucky to be alive. If they found out.....well he didn't want to think about that. Unfortunately that's the price you have to pay when your a Heper(human)living in a world full of vampires.

I wasn't sure what to expect going into this book. Early reviewers didn't seem to favor it at all, so when I was approved to read The Hunt I pushed back doing so until closer to release. When I finally sat down and read this book I was gripped instantly. Without giving to much away the book opens with a voiceover. The character later revealed as Gene is telling the story about a little girl who wanted to go to school. She snuck out, attended class and even made it through part of the day. Her downfall was the teacher calling for naptime. All of the students rushed to their perches on the ceiling but obviously the little girl could not, so her ruse was found out and she was eaten down to the very bone. This scene took me by surprise and I immediately proceeded to devour (no pun intended) the rest of the book in one sitting.

I don't want to give the book away since I really think it's worth discovering for yourself, so my review will be spoiler light. The Main characters Gene and Ashley June are chosen for The Heper Hunt. While Ashley June is thrilled obviously Gene is not. I found this to be interesting. Gene while a Heper himself draws a distinct line between himself and those he is doomed to track and kill. He is civilized, they are not. If that meant killing them so be it. Gene is one of the best Male protagonists I have read in a good long while. He starts out as this almost dead Character. He has no emotions, no spark of life to him. All the things that define a human would get him killed so he buries them down deep. It is almost easy to forget he is human he is so cold. As the book progresses and the facade starts to crumble, we get glimpses of his real human personality shining through. I must say this made for great reading.

Ashley June on the other hand. While she was a decently written character, I did see the clear path where her storyline was heading. I think she has a larger story to tell but I was a bit let down when my predictions for her were right. I also wanted to know more about the world. While we learn that society has been this way a long time, we don't learn how it ended up that way in the first place.

In the end this was a great book, with many surprising moments, lots of action and even a little romance along the way. The ending while a bit predictable was satisfying! I really am looking forward to reading the next book in this series. I definitely suggest picking up this book when it releases May 8th and giving it a shot. I will be giving The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda 4 Stars.

Comments

  1. I'm seeing this book a lot right now! I like that you found the ending good even though it was predictable, I don't always mind a predictable ending either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When the ride is good enough it doesn't matter that you know the destination ahead of time. ;)

      Delete
  2. Great review, and thanks for sharing that scene with the little girl...I think that intrigued me more than anything I've read about The Hunt so far...even Richelle Mead calling it "The Hunger Games with vampires." :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by Blood Sweat and Books and taking the time to leave a comment! If you find my posts enjoyable please share, it means so much when you do.

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Party Games by R.L. Stine

Books To Movies Giveaway hop!!

Giveaway: Vamps vs. Zombies Blog Hop!!